Monday, January 21, 2013

Everybody Could Use A Little ACV In Their Lives


I always knew that apple cider vinegar was good for me, I just didn't know how great it really is. My father used to drink it every morning with a glass of water, and my mother told me that growing up she used it as a hair rinse for shiny hair. I did try this several times as a teenager, but I think I went about it the wrong way as I have a strong recollection of it running into my eyes and stinging like crazy, not to mention the overpowering smell left in my hair. Well, I have learned a bit more about the miraculous and abundant health benefits of ACV in the past six months, and I feel that if more people knew about these they would run out and buy a bottle.

  Let me first start by telling you that not all ACV is created equal. Heinz won't do the trick. It has been processed and filtered and no longer contains the healthful ingredients. You want raw, organic, unfiltered ACV that still contains the 'mother'. That is where all the vitamins, minerals and enzymes are. I have used Bragg and another brand I can't remember the name of, and they are both good. You can find it at any health food store and grocery store in the health food isle, and the best news is, it isn't expensive. The first bottle I bought (the brand I can't remember) came from Superstore and was about $6. 

  First let me tell you what is in it that makes it so wonderful:

   Potassium - necessary for growth, building muscles, heart health, prevents weak teeth, hair loss, and     
   the transmission of nerve impulses just to name a few.

   Acetic acid - slows the digestion of starch which can lower the rise of glucose.

   Malic acid - gives it the antiviral, anti fungal, and anti bacterial properties

   Pectin - regulates blood pressure and reduces bad cholesterol

   Calcium - for strong bones and teeth

   Ash - gives it's alkaline property which helps maintain ph levels for a more alkaline state. (especially
   beneficial for coffee and wine drinkers, or heavy meat eaters)

  Now, why we all could benefit from ACV:

1. Detoxification- because it is rich in minerals, vitamins, and enzymes it is great for detox. The acids in ACV bind to the toxins in our bodies and help the body to eliminate them. It stimulates circulation and aids in detoxification of the liver. Breaks down fats so our body can use them rather then store them. It also breaks up mucus throughout the body and cleans the lymph nodes for better lymph circulation. A healthy lymphatic system can remove toxins from cells in the body while improving immune response.

2. Weight loss - may aid weight loss by stabilizing blood sugar for longer periods of time, and helping to control appetite.

3. Digestion - helps with indigestion and gastrointestinal discomfort caused by certain foods, and can help with acid reflux.

4. Skin problems - ACV can be used as an astringent for acne prone skin. Taking orally should also improve skin. You can also add 1 cup of ACV and 1 cup of epsom salts to a hot bath to draw toxins out of the body and relieve joint pain. Just don't sit in the bath for too long or you will be reabsorbing the toxins.

5. Wart removal - apply to warts daily, or put ACV on a bandaid and refresh daily.

6. Keeps illness at bay - because it contains vitamins, minerals and enzymes, plus it has antimicrobial, and antiseptic properties.

7. Soft, healthy hair - The acetic acid in ACV will remove build up from styling products and conditioner, and strengthen the hair shaft. Plus it will balance the hairs ph level, kill bacteria and is a cure for dandruff. Dilute 1/3 cup ACV in 4 cups of water and pour over hair after rinsing shampoo out. Leave on for a few minutes before rinsing out. As it is acidic it is not recommended for daily use. Once a week should be sufficient. This is great for people with oily hair.

Daily drinking recommendations for detoxification, digestion and to ease joint paint and stiffness:
I drink 1 Tbls of ACV in a glass of filtered water first thing in the morning. You can start with 1-2 tsp in a glass of filtered water. It may take some time to adjust to the taste. It is okay to drink 1-2 tsp in a glass of water before a big meal as well. To get the optimal benefits of ACV it is recommended to eat a whole foods, healthy, and clean diet. You will not reap the health rewards if you continue to fill your body with refined carbs, sugar, and fat. You can also add equal amounts of raw, unpasteurized honey and ACV to warm water for joint pain relief, and because it has an overall harmonizing effect and just tastes better.

Have I sold you yet on the wonders of ACV? There is tons of positive information out there regarding ACV, if you are willing to do a bit of research. I promise I know what I am talking about as I am educated and do my research.

 As an end note I just want to add that I am attending an accredited school to become a registered holistic nutritionist. That means I will be recognized as knowing what I am talking about. Besides taking fundamental nutrition courses, I also take anatomy & physiology, chemistry & biochemistry, pathology & nutrition, Eco-nutrition, perspectives of aging, lifecycle nutrition, allergies, alternative comparative diets, fundamentals of business, cellular biology and The mind, body, spirit connection. I am to complete this program in one to two years, with an 80% average to graduate and I am tested multiple times throughout each coarse. I am also to complete 14 case studies in the process. My goal is to be a nutritional consultant but there are many other job options for someone registered in my field. I love what I am learning and I love helping people become healthier and happier. The school I attend is the only one around where a person can become a registered holistic nutritionist, however there are multiple unaccredited programs out there that a person interested in holistic health could take. I believe the school I have chosen to attend to be the most well rounded and in depth program, which also makes it really hard. 

  Anyways, next time I am going to write about the wonders of Coconut oil because I am in love with the stuff. As a precursor I will also discuss saturated fats.


  


1 comment:

  1. Mixing up my morning ACV cocktail now. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete