Thursday, May 23, 2013

Your Health is Real and so is My School

I am writing today about something I feel very strongly about. A subject that occupies my thoughts and my life maybe 80% of the time. I am writing about this because I know that I am not taken seriously by most of my family and just about all of my friends and it makes me a little bit crazy.

 As anyone that knows me is aware I have a passion for health and nutrition. I haven't always been this way. I grew up on a Western diet of refined sugar and white bread like the majority of everyone in our society. I also grew up with myriad of health problems from hypothyroidism to depression, to severe GI problems, and migraines. I didn't get serious about food until recent years and I really thought my health problems had very little relation to my diet or external environment. Eventually I figured out what I put into my body that was affecting my intestines, and if I eliminated certain foods most of my health problems would diminish.

 Now I know not all health problems are caused by poor diet. Some have environmental causes and few more are genetic, but a vast majority of physical and mental health problems can be ameliorated through diet change, supplementation, environmental change and maybe some good counseling. Roll your eyes now. I know this because I am educated. I study many, many books by doctors, Naturopaths, orthopedic surgeons, and psychologists. I study books on Anatomy & Physiology, and I will very soon be learning about cellular biology and bio chemistry. I am not reading hippy dippy books by supporters of fanatical diet programs, although I have learned about most of the popular diets of today and I know the pros and cons of each.

 I am attending a legitimate and accredited school in which I will receive a diploma, not a certificate upon completion. When I graduate I will be a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and be part of the CSNN Alumni Association. R.H.N is exclusive to graduates of The Canadian School of Natural Nutrition and is the most recognized designation in the Holistic Nutrition industry. A R.H.N is not like a health coach, and is quite different from a Dietician.

 I am not trying to sell my school or bring business to it. I am writing this because I feel that I am not taken seriously and that would be frustrating for anyone. I do know what I am talking about, and if anyone studied what I study then they would know it as well. I do not believe that doctors and drugs can solve all problems. If that were so our society would not be in the health crisis that it is today. So please give me some credit people. Don't ask me what I am going to school for, then quickly change the subject when I respond. I am not a gullible extremist who believes everything I read on Facebook or sees in a documentary. I make a point of looking at and learning about both sides of such topics as Factory Farming, GMO's, vaccinations etc, and then I form an informed opinion on such topics.

 I don't judge people for choosing to eat any sort of way, and I wish not to be judged for the same. As I said before I am not fanatical or Orthorexic in the least. I eat french fries sometimes, and diet soda on very rare occasion, and I really struggle with a chocolate addiction. But I also want to live a long and healthy life and am willing to do anything to achieve that.

 Ask me questions please. Don't brush me off or roll your eyes and shake your heads, while mumbling to the person next to you that I don't know what I'm talking about, because I do! I can help you. I can tell you what vitamins you are deficient in, and how you can change your diet to include those vitamins and minerals in it. I may need to look it up, but I can help you, and I want to. I hope that as I continue in my education and when I graduate you will look to me for help in health related conditions rather then running off to the doctors to get a pill.



2 comments:

  1. It is so true. We are not crazy folk. We have real concerns and real questions. We may focus on different things than others and we view food in a different light. We also are not perfect but we are trying to make a real change and that is worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts and recipes!! I'm down 20 pounds and have been drinking ACV every morning since you told me to...sine then (after spending large amounts of money for trying to treat adult acne) my skin has been perfectly clear....first time in my entire life! I'm sure it's doing more for me but my skin has never been better! I wish I had your motivation daily but baby steps is taking me in he right direction to becoming a healthier me! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us!
    Britny

    ReplyDelete