Saturday, September 11, 2010

My goofy girls at the Father/Daughter camp.
 There are always so many things I think about through out the week that I want to write about, but I never seem to find the time. I also get easily distracted, and there are a lot of distractions in this crazy house. I need quiet, and that is not always easy to come by here.
  Anyways I should mention the girls have somewhat successfully started home school this week. They complain that they miss their friends at regular school and want to go back. I tell them I want them to stick it out another year. I feel as if I'm just starting to get the hang of this and I don't want to quit yet. I've weighed out the pros and cons and I still feel like this is our best option right now. I try not to fantasize too much about how lovely and peaceful it would be to have Miete and Lilli in school for 6 hours of the day, and then to have Leif at preschool twice a week for several hours. I can't imagine ...scratch that, I can imagine how sweet that would be. I do think having Leif at preschool will help the girls and I to get a lot done in those 3 hours, of coarse only if Violet is consistent with her morning naps. One of the things I love the most about home school is not having the morning mad-rush. Trying to get four kids up and fed and out the door before 8:30am was a nightmare. I was always yelling, and the kids were always fighting and miserable. I do not miss that at all.
 
  New Idea!

    So I have this idea that I think I would like to blog about on a more regular basis. I'm nervous to be so open, and I really hope we won't be judged or looked -down-on for this decision, but for our family, I think this is a great idea, although very challenging. This is definitely on a whim, but after a brief discussion with Christopher this morning we have decided to challenge ourselves to a whole year of only second-hand shopping. That means all clothing/shoes/household items will be purchased either from thrift shops, Craigslist, swap meets, or other such places. Try not to be to disgusted with us. This does not include undergarments. You will be surprised at how great we will look. We will continue to be the classy and stylish people that you all know us as. Really, we already do a fair bit of secondhand shopping, but doing it exclusively will help us out financially, and we will be less wasteful. This includes all Christmas and birthday presents within our own family.

    I am a creative person, I can do this. I know at times this will be really difficult, I enjoy shopping as much as the next person, but I think this will be good for our children and ourselves. I think it does mean I'll have to completely avoid all malls. Thankfully, I recently purchased new running shoes as that is not something I could go without. Hopefully I can make them last a year. Anyways, I think that sums it up. I am scared and excited. Wish us luck!
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: hand me downs welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I love a challenge! What a great idea. :) Seems like the part that will be the hardest will be gift shopping for the kids. Good luck! I hope you will blog about the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasha,

    It's amazing how much alike we are in ideals! I love your idea about buying only second hand and have toyed with that myself. We mostly do thrift strore shop, but I really want to do it more full time. I agree, except for undergarments. Frankly, buying new is starting to really bother me. Buying shoes would be another thing though, those I would want to still buy new at least most times. I don't think I could find any Vibrams second hand anyway :).

    Ah, yes, homeschooling and being able to start the day in a good leisurely was is wonderful. Your children are blessed to have you who look out for what is best for them. We are currently at the beginning of our seventh year of homeschooling and I wouldn't change it for the world. Did you know Kim and I recently started a homeschool supply business? I am in heaven! If you didn't have closer resources I would suggest you purchase from us :)

    My mum says you are almost if not as militant about breastfeeding as I am. I guess we were just raised right! Ha! :P I have your mum to thank for getting my mum so dedicated to nursing her babies to at least 2 years and my aunt for introducing me to extended breastfeeeding. There must be something to that Maple Ridge childhood air...

    ReplyDelete