Friday, September 3, 2010


We have really tried to squeeze every last drop of summer out, and have had such a wonderful time doing so. I don't think we are totally done just yet. The best days have been the ones where we spontaneously throw our things together and head out mid afternoon. I've learned to pack a beach bag quick. Last Saturday we spent a gorgeous afternoon at White Rock. The kids love dancing, splashing, collecting dead crabs, and doing cartwheels on the expansive beach while the tide is out. Violet loves the feel of sand between her fingers and toes. Christopher and I love the few hours of peace in which our children play together without conflict or tears. We enjoy watching them, and splashing with them, and taking endless pictures to capture the perfect day's memories.

A couple of weeks ago my friend Rae-ann came out for the weekend. On occasion she gets brave and stays over for a day or two. We went on a threesome date to see Swell Season, a fantastic little Irish band that we adore. They played at the Malkin bowl, an outdoor concert venue at Stanley Park. It had rained all day, but the clouds parted and the stars came out for us. It was really quite a perfect concert. Frank Black from the Pixies opened for them and then for the finale came on stage to sing "Where is my Mind" with Glen Hansard and the band. I guess it would be hard to appreciate this if you are not fans of either of these bands, but for me it was magical.
 The following evening, while Rae-ann was still with us we decided to pump up our rafts and float down the Alouette river. We have two rafts that we figured we could distribute Rae-ann, myself and the three kids in. I have wanted to do this for a long time. We got out up at Davidson's Pool, a little swimming hole in the river, and my lovely husband proceeded to manually pump up both rafts. Rae-ann and myself took turns pumping as well, but we tired easily. Christopher did most of the work and it took a good 20 minutes or so. Miete and Lilli were fairly impatient, and Miete said to Christopher " If James was pumping it he would be done by now." James is my youngest brother. He is in the army and has really big muscles. My girls frequently make "James can do it faster, stronger and more" type tauntings to Christopher. I am glad Christopher has confidence in his manliness, and can just laugh the cheeky comments off. Anyways when our boats were finally inflated we loaded up and attempted to float down the river. I say attempted, because I don't think we lasted 10 minutes. The water was way too shallow in spots and a little too rapid for my sensitive children. They were all crying within moments, the girls convinced we were heading over a waterfall. Luckily Christopher heard their cries of terror before he was back at the car, and was able to wade down to the river to rescue us. Who's the hero now Miete and Lilli! I would still like to float down the river another day, without children present and maybe a bit deeper of a river. That may have to wait until next summer though.



No comments:

Post a Comment