Thursday, January 5, 2012

I am very sad to write that in an effort to be more frugal and catch up, Christopher and I have decided to cancel our weekend getaway to Banff. Yes, for our 10 year anniversary Chris had surprised me with a weekend getaway for the 20th of January. It's wasn't a trip to Mexico, but it would have been a lovely little break none the less. Breaks are nice things. I am not complaining about my life. I love my little family, but I really think mini vacations make life more pleasant. Anyway, it is not to be so I will put it behind me and forget about it. We did get to go to B.C and see family at least. I am grateful for that.

 Okay, I just have a couple clean, exceptionally healthy recipes that I am going to share, in case anyone would like to try them. I was looking online for a recipe for wasa crackers. I love them. They are made of rye I think and very low calorie. I came across a recipe for something called Knekkebrod, with a slash through the o. It's a Scandinavian crispbread. I adapted the recipe and made some today. They are incredibly easy to make, and I'm sure you could add applesauce or mashed banana to substitute some of the water if you wanted them to be sweeter. The original recipe also called for two cups of wheat flour. I am trying to omit wheat flour from my diet so I adjusted that part of it. Next time I am going to try and make it with rye flour as well.

                                                           
 1 cup whole wheat flour
 1/2 cup finely ground steal cut oats  (these 2 ingredients I substitute
 1/2 cup finely ground flax seed          for whole wheat flour)                
 2 cups large oats
 1/2 cup sesame seeds
 1/2 cup flaxseed
 1tsp salt
3 1/3 cups water

 Mix all ingredients into a thick paste like substance. Pour onto 2 parchment covered baking sheets, and spread evenly around to cover sheet. Use a pizza cutter or knife to gently cut dough into equal serving sizes. Oven should be set at 335. Put one tray on the top rack and one on the bottom rack and set timer for 30 minutes. When the timer goes, switch the pans and set for an other 30 minutes. when the timer goes make sure your crispbread is crispy enough. I set mine for an additional 10 minutes I think.
 I should also add that I use a coffee grinder to grind my flax and oats. Works great. This is yummy with peanut butter, or homemade Hummus and cucumbers. My girls pretended to like it for a picture, but weren't to interested. I love it though, and will not be sharing it with the birds, unless it goes stale before I get through it.

 Okay here is an other quick recipe for Hummus.
     A can of chickpeas with the liquid, mashed or pureed in food processor
     A sprinkle of lemon or lime juice. (I use lime because it's what I have)
     A touch of garlic powder for me, but if you like more, add more, or the fresh kind chopped finely.
     I like a bit of cumin in mine as well, but leave out the salt. You don't need it!
And there you have it. A delicious Hummus spread for your Knekkebrod! I hope you will try these recipes out and let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. It's awesome with the hummus. Tasty and crunchy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo going to try this one of these days. I love love love hummus but Greg hates it. Cuz I love roasted garlic hummus and he hates my garlic breathe that he says lasts for a week lol!! And I'm always looking for something healthy to eat with it. I've never bought flax seed before - where do you buy it?

    ReplyDelete