Friday, March 9, 2012

I want to sell you on the joys of running

I had mud splatters all up my legs that are not visible in this picture.
I just love how my children have to hop into any picture that is being taken.

I want to sell you on the joys of running. I do this every few months, usually after I have a really great run. If you happen to drive by me while I am running you will see I am smiling. Smiling because I feel strong and free. Even if I am not a fast runner, I am still a happy runner. I love the fresh air and the beautiful sunshine. I don't even mind a little rain and snow. I love the chance to see a sunset and watch the moon rise. To witness the seasons changing, and smell the wet grass, or dry leaves. Maybe this sounds cheesy, but when I run I see things I would miss if I were driving. Even in my own neighborhood I get to admire other peoples gardens and yard decor. In B.C I loved running in the late spring when all the cherry blossoms were falling. They smell like changing weather and give me a thrill for the warm season that is to come. I will miss those sweet pink and white trees this year. Their season is so short.
 Alberta has it's own beauty as well. I look forward to experiencing spring here, as the weather warms and things start to grow again, turning green for the short while before the summer heat dries everything up. I look forward to having more light in the evening to allow for longer runs. I love the Bow river and the paths that wind all along it. It makes for such a scenic, traffic free run. It is so nice to get away from cars, and intersections. I usually turn my music off when I get down to the river paths. I wish I had Colleen here to run with. I miss her most when I am running, and frequently think back to our many runs together. I get lonely on my long runs and wish I had someone to push me along, and share the experience with.
 Today my run was spectacular because it was 12 degrees out, sunny and quite windy. I got to run 2km downhill, which meant I got to run 2km back uphill coming home. I finally got to run across the little bridge and follow the path through Bowmont park. I have been wanting to run at Bowmont park since I first discovered it in the late fall. The weather hasn't been suitable to run there yet, and it turns out the conditions today were rather sloppy. With the snow melting so rapidly there were little lakes all over the place. I jumped over some and ran through many. I ran across the miniature train track when it was the only way to avoid wading past my ankles. I moved out of the way of cars passing through the park to avoid getting sprayed, and I ran through, melting, slushy snow. My feet sunk into the mud multiple times. Throughout all this I also paused to take many pictures, therefore it was not a run I would time, but it was a great run, and I want to share some of the pictures I took on my little adventure.
crossing over the bridge


the path is flooded. The whole park was like this

Few things bring me more joy then a great run. It hasn't always been this way, but as I mentioned in a previous post, I started running five years ago with the intention of learning to love it and although it took time it eventually happened. Not every run will be a great run, but as long as I do not get injured in the process I will never say "I wish I didn't go for a run today" and that should be the same for everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment