Thursday, March 8, 2012

Over the past month or so I have read several emotionally difficult books. They put me in a certain mindset, that is hard to get out of. I feel  very involved in what I read, especially if it is non fiction or historical fiction. These are my favorite types of books. I don't know why, but I really enjoy reading books about suffering, loss and hardship. Maybe "enjoy" is the wrong word. I gain knowledge and perspective from these stories. I feel it is important to know about what people go through in different cultures and times. We are very blessed to live where and when we do and we should never take that for granted. I know people who don't like to watch the news or read these types of books because they are too depressing. Maybe it makes them feel guilty. I find it very important to know about what goes on outside of our little space, and around the rest of the world.
  I am an exceptionally sensitive person. I form attachments easily and am effected by others suffering. I have a hard time reading something that involves personal misery or distress and then detaching myself from it. As a result of this, my dreams and daily thoughts are effected by what I have read and my poor husband receives less intimacy from me. It is not intentional, but how can you read about the holocaust and then go have sex. That aside, I don't read graphic violence. You can get a point across without being graphic. Several years ago I tried to read "Night" by Elie Wiesel and found it much too violent, bitter and hateful. It made me physically sick, and caused nightmares, so I put it down. Instead I read " Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl. Both books are written by Holocaust survivors, but from very different perspectives. I highly recommend reading "Man's Search for Meaning."
  Several days ago I finished reading Prisoner of Tehran by Marina Nemat. It is one of the most heart wrenching books I have ever read. I really think everyone should read this book. It is so important that we know what goes on in Iran and other countries. The things that are happening in this book take place in the 80's but are still happening now. Nothing has improved over there. This is relevant to our times. When I read about people complaining about our freedoms as Canadians and Americans being taken away it really irritates me. These people need to open their eyes to the rest of the world and realize how incredibly blessed they are to live where they do. Our countries may not be perfect but they are pretty close. Please, please read Prisoner of Tehran if you haven't already and share your thoughts with me. These people really have been invisible to the rest of the world, and they deserve to be recognized.

No comments:

Post a Comment