Monday, May 7, 2012

Strawberry Limeade cake recipe

I've had a few requests for the strawberry limeade cake recipe so I'll do my best to come up with one. Probably a good idea so I have it for future use .
 I just used a box of white cake mix and added a cup of limeade instead of a cup of water. I also grated lime zest into the mix and added the called for eggs and oil. I then scooped a cup of the mix out, and added strawberry jello powder to it. Not a whole box, just enough to give it a pink color and give it a strawberry taste. I also melted some strawberry lime jelly I make and added a couple tbls of that to the pink mix, but you can leave that out. Pour your lime cake mix into a greased pan and then swirl your strawberry mix into it. Bake according to box directions.
I made a filling and then a meringue top, but you don't need to do both if you don't want to. If you are layering your cake and want a nice filling, make a cream cheese, icing sugar, butter icing. (I am assuming that anyone asking for this already can come up with a basic cream cheese icing. ) I then added some of my melted strawberry lime jelly, lime zest and several finely chopped strawberries. You can use regular strawberry jam as well. mix into filling until you have desired consistency and flavor. It is so yummy!
When your cake is out and cool, you can put a layer of this between your cake or use it as a nice icing. I made a simple meringue topping, of egg whites, sugar, and keylime flavor I picked up at Scoop n' Save last time I was in B.C.
 Scoop n' Save is an amazing baking supplies store in Langley. They have every awesome flavor you could imagine. I haven't found a similar store in Calgary yet, but I'm sure there is one somewhere.
 You could add a bit of fresh squeeze lime juice and lime zest to get a nice flavor as well. I am not including meringue directions, because I am assuming everyone knows how to make meringue. Google it of you don't. Also added a touch of green food coloring on kids request. When meringue is stiff, top it on your cooled cake and swirl with a knife to make nice peaks. I then put the whole thing back in the oven at 350 for  maybe five minutes. Keep your eye on it! Only cook it long enough to brown the top slightly.
 I just want to add that when you make a meringue topping don't do it until shortly before you serve it, because it won't look nice hours later, and don't put it in the fridge before you serve it. It will sweat and melt. Of coarse you will have to  refrigerate your leftovers, to keep it from bacteria growth.
 I was going to add a picture but it turns out I deleted it. Good luck with the recipe, it really is quite simple, although maybe not incredibly specific. If anyone has further questions you can message or email me.

1 comment:

  1. PM Hobbycraft has a good selection of cake decorating tools. I don't know what your definition is for an "amazing" store but this one is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete