Thursday, July 5, 2012



I have to write about my run this evening before the thrill of it fades. I took a heap of pictures as well and I think they will help with my story.

I tried to go for a run two days ago even though I wasn't feeling it. There are many days when I am not feeling it and I have to push myself out the door. It was one of those days, and by the time I had my knee taped up, my ipod charged, water bottles filled, heart rate monitor on, I literally stepped out the door and it started to pour. I was relieved. Today is a scheduled run day, and it's been beautiful all day, although thunder and lightening were in the forecast. Chris got home from work early and I threw my gear on, as I could see the sky starting to darken. If I could get running and be warmed up before the rain started, then it wouldn't be so bad.

I headed out the door, and got almost 2km before the rain stared to patter around me, but the drops were spread out and not very threatening. I could still see patches of blue sky and the dark clouds and heavy rain I could see falling in the distance, seemed far enough away that I didn't worry. It was quite a beautiful sky actually. I ran down Nosehill towards the bridge leading to Bowness park. Crossed the road and followed the path down and under the bridge. This is a beautiful path that runs along the river, and it is always populated by runners, cyclists, and dog walkers. The rain was picking up, and I could hear the distant thunder. It went well with my music, but I still felt good, and had warmed up enough that the rain didn't bother me. I ran over this little bridge alongside the train bridge and was amazed to see the water levels so high in what would otherwise be considered a stream.
This was the sky to my left

And this was my view to the right
Anyways, I continued on my path and crossed over a larger pedestrian trail, then followed a smaller trail into the woods where I hoped to hide from the rain. Normally I don't run through the woods by myself in the evening, but it was a relatively short trail, and I imagined jumping in the river if a bad guy or wild animal decided to attack me.
The start of the trail, blurry from the rain

ran around a fence and across these cement blocks
beside the rising river

the water levels are so high, the trail is blocked

I push the bushes aside and step carefully around the edge of the water. I think it is starting to hail, but it's not awful. I can still hear distant thunder, but I'm not worried yet, sure I can continue on my planned route. I figure this is good training for the Spartan run I hope to do in August. I come out of the woods and the rain and hail mixture picks up. I follow the path under a road bridge and briefly pause to take another picture.



The path leads around to Bowness park and I follow it up to the road. The hail is picking up and the thunder is getting closer. I decide to cut my run short and head up the steep hill home, which is still 2km away. The hail gets heavier with each step I take and I am trying to pick up my pace. I must look ridiculous to all the drivers. I don't even have a hat to protect my face. By now I am being pelted with marble sized hail, and it is coming down unbelievably heavy. I have to keep my head down, and water is pouring down my face. I can feel my feet sloshing in the puddle that has gathered in my shoes. I see my first flash of lightening and pick up my pace on the hill. The thunder is constant, and I am not having fun anymore. I want to call Chris but I can't stop to call him because the hail is coming down so heavy. There is a heavy stream running alongside the sidewalk even on the steep hill. I am drenched beyond words, and my sunburned back is stinging with each pelt of hail. They smack me in the face and hit me in the head, and there is nothing I can do about it. Imagine little pebbles pummeling down on you. That is what it was like. Then there is is this loud clap of thunder right above me and a huge flash of lightening. It startles and terrifies me. This is where I turn into a big baby. I start to whimper and I say "help" to nobody, wishing that Christopher would come find me. All I can think about is being struck by lightening, even though I know it is completely unrealistic. There is nowhere to hide and I am frightened. I decide to turn down the first street on my route and hide under a slight overhang on someone's house while I attempt to call Christopher to come rescue me, but he's not answering. Thankfully two kind men that are sitting in their car waiting for the storm to pass offer me a ride. I hop in their clean, dry, good smelling car and apologize profusely for getting it so wet inside. I must look like a drowned rat. They hand me tissue and I wipe my face and nose. We sit there for at least another five minutes waiting for the storm to calm down. I text Chris that I am okay and have been picked up.

view out the car window
The men drive me the short distance home. Maybe 1km, as the hail slows and the clouds part. The sun comes out and a rainbow is in the sky. Rainbows are a common sight here. The road and sidewalks are heaped in hail and I later hear that the flat areas of our community have flooded. Crazy, considering the worst part of the storm was probably only 20 minutes. The men drop me off, and I thank them and apologize for soaking their car about 100 times. I am so grateful for these good samaritans. I enter my house to Leif crying inconsolably, and the girls all over me. They tell me that Chris has gone out looking for me, so I text him that I am safe at home. Yay!
The hail by my gutter, post storm


post storm, smaller, and partially melted hail
This is definitely my craziest running experience ever. When I was all dried, and had peeled my wet clothes off, I noticed red marks all over my legs and arms. I don't think there'll be any bruises though. The weather here is unpredictable and erratic. By 9pm the sky was clear and there was another beautiful sunset. You would never know there had been a storm if not for the flooded roads.

happy to be home, and unbelievably drier then I was 10 minutes prior





No comments:

Post a Comment