Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Heavenly Laundry Soap

I just made my own laundry soap (something I've been meaning to do for months), and it was so easy. Seriously took less then 20 minutes, and it smells like heaven. Hopefully it cleans like heaven as well, but I have to let it set for 12 hours before I try it out.

 If you or someone you do laundry for has sensitive skin, this is totally worth trying, or if you like to save money, this works out to less then .5 cents a load. Following is the ingredients and instructions

You will need 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup of Arm & Hammer washing soda. Both found in laundry isle at Walmart or Superstore. You will also need a bar of sunlight soap or something called Fels-Naptha, also found in detergent isle. I didn't have either of these bar soaps so decided to do something crazy and use a bar of all natural lavender soap somebody gave me a while ago. I'm sure it will work fine. You will need the biggest pot you have or two pots. Enough to hold 2 gallons of water, and a bucket that can hold up to 5 gallons. A mop bucket works well.

1- Heat 2 gallons of water on the stove. At the same time grate your bar of soap with a cheese grater, then add it to the water.

2- Stir until the soap curls dissolve, then add one cup of Borax, and one cup of washing soda. You can also add a bit of essential oil if you want a nice smell. I added a few drops of lavender oil to go with my lavender soap.

3- Fill your big bucket with one gallon of room temp water. Then add your soapy stove mixture to the bucket and stir.

4- I added a few squirts of lavender scented castile soap to my mixture but it's not necessary.

5- Cover your bucket and let it sit for 12 hours. It will thicken to a gel like consistency. Voila! You are done. Use .5 cup per load and make many loads.

I have actually been saving my empty laundry soap bottles and poured my mixture into them before letting it sit for 12 hrs. Made more then 10 liters. That should last us awhile.

Happy washing!


No comments:

Post a Comment